This article is a work in progress. The work is being tracked in this bug.
- Shield is an addon-based experimentation platform with fine-tuned enrollment criteria. The system add-on landed in FF 53.
- For the moment, it sends back data in its own
shieldtype ping, so there's lots of flexibility in data you can collect.
- Uses the Normandy server to serve out study “recipes” (?)
- Annotates the main ping in the environment/experiments block
- The shield system is itself a system add-on, so rolling out changes to the entire system does not require riding release trains
- Strategy and Insights (firstname.lastname@example.org) team are product owners and shepherd the study development and release process along
- Opt-out experiments should be available soon?
- Further reading:
- When should you use SHIELD over other options?
Uses Normandy, requires NO additional addon as long as a preference rides the release train
Survey mechanism, also run via Normandy
Custom builds of Firefox that are served to some percentage of the direct download population